Monday, October 11, 2010

The Long Road Back Pt 5: I’ll suck wind big time on Wednesday

Already I know this: I’ll be off my game (hockey) on Wednesday.

My skating will be rough, my shot will be worse. So, my goal will be to pass the puck quickly whenever it’s on my stick and make the opposing team of fifty-year-old (plus) players think I’m an astute playmaker. Or astute something-or-other. I’ll settle for astute anything.

I was a slug for two weeks. Didn't get close to 100 points/week.


["Yipes. The cushion is disappearing": photos GH]

Two weeks ago I was in Fenelon Falls, slacked off the fun and fitness routine a bit and dropped 29 bonus points. Sure, I collect bonus points so that I can drop them on occasion but I love a big cushion. I feel my loss.

The following week was worse. My wife and I visited Ottawa and once home I completed only 1 walk, 1 run and 1 ride and lost another 53 bonus points.


["Time to ride but no time to run? What's with that?"]

This past week I hit the bike hard. 134.5 mi. Got some points back. But completed zero runs, missed hockey again and will suffer on Wednesday.


["My motto - pass, pass, pass. I should have passed on the pie!"]

Plus, I’ll be carrying 14 pounds of turkey, stuffing, gravy, multiple side dishes and a rich dessert. Ok, maybe 2 desserts.

It is a long road back but - hopefully - I’ll have a bigger cushion and at least two runs by the end of the week.

Because this is Thanksgiving Monday and there’s still turkey in the house I’m pretty sure I’ll have a bigger something by week’s end.

***

How many calories in a drumstick? In a cup of gravy? In two slices of peach crumble pie?

Q: Do I really want to know?

Q: Was Rome built in a day?

.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Well as long as you're only sucking wind and not passing wind you'll be fine.
OK. Just remember - pass the puck, suck the wind, not the other way around:)
Happy Thanksgiving!!

G. Harrison said...

Jane, I just finished another turkey supper. passing wind may just be part of the program on wed.

cheers, Gord