Monday, October 11, 2010

Will Joe Fontana create more jobs than you can shake a stick at?

Joe Fontana, so we were told by campaign co-chair Cheryl Miller, is only going to serve for one term if elected mayor of Deforest City. (He can do all that is needed for Londoners in one term).

Wait. There’s been a change.

“Fontana now says that is not the case - he’ll serve as long as Londoners want him, but the root of that discrepancy in his camp remains unclear.” (Oct. 9, London Free Press)


["Jobs are needed, but what fits with an age of austerity?"]

(I will digress. Let’s speculate re the root problem for all of 30 seconds. Trust me, we have the time. One of the co-chairs is impulsive and speaks without thinking clearly. Or, both co-chairs suffer from what I call ‘muddled thinking.’ Or, ‘serve one term’ sounded really clever a few weeks ago to someone demanding and, therefore, all-powerful - who will remain nameless at this time, though I think she has a name. Meanwhile, back at the ranch...)

Joe Fontana built his platform on the promise of a four-year tax freeze.

Tax freeze. Everybody’s hurting. No new taxes - that’s all the balm, spit and polish people need.

Wait. There’s been a change.

Mr. Fontana is adding another plank to his platform.

“He will now create 10,000 jobs in the next five years.” (LFP)

Believing that this action will allow young people to work in town instead of being forced to move and - quite possibly - get him elected at the same time (Hey, anything can be promised, anything can happen), Joe has now shimmied his way out to the end of a very long and skinny branch.

10,000 jobs in five years. That’s 2,000 jobs per year. That’s 166.67 jobs per month or 5.56 jobs per day.

By gosh, if he finds the magic formula and stays for a second term even I could be working again (Is that part-time or full-time, Joe?) by mid-April 2017.

I sure hope it's the perfect job for me and has nothing to do with adding a slice of cheese - in under 5 seconds or I’m doing the night shift - to someone’s greasy burger. Sorry, I digress.

Not that I wouldn’t love to see 10,000 new jobs over 5 years, or even 10 years for that matter.

But, I have to ask myself, in what place is Joe going to find 10,000 jobs that hasn’t been tried already?

What strings can he possibly pull that haven’t been pulled already?

Will he pull jobs out of a hat? Will he pull them out of thin air?

Or will he simply wait for a week and pull out another plank?

***

London’s election campaign just got a little more interesting at any rate, in my opinion.

.

No comments: