Friday, October 22, 2010

The Workshop: Scrap lumber was dusted off first

A few months ago, when my sister’s garden was bursting at the seams, my wife and I travelled to Bracebridge, Ontario.


["Brainwave. Make a few more wren houses": photos GH]

At some point during our stay, and as usual, my brother-in-law Jim and I visited the lumber pile at the town’s drop-off and recycle yard.


["Thin lumber stands up well if properly stained"]

Slim pickins for sure.




["The trim is made from rescued lumber as well"]

However, before leaving for home Jim gave me some odds and ends of lumber, including four pieces of thin spruce or pine siding that eventually got placed at the back of my Annex.

Just last week I had a brain wave. Dust them off, cut them up, make 6 of my favourite wren houses.


["If the sun comes out, I'll stain outside"]

I’m almost done. Next week I’ll pop in the Wilco CD and stain the last 4 wren houses and Ice Cream Parlour with linseed oil.

I don’t think the rescued lumber will be collecting any more dust.

***

Please click here to see how recent five-plexes turned out.

.

No comments: