Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bird Watching: At the feeder - a host of mourning doves?

Recently a mob of sparrows mobbed my bird feeder. Seeds flew in every direction.

I thought ‘mob’ was a good term to use, though I later learned that ‘host’ is the proper term, at least according to Rick Sutcliffe at opundo, whatever that means.

(If you know, tell me).

After lunch today I saw 8 - 9 doves at my feeder.


I thought two things.

One, wow, I have a host of doves here.

Two, I bet they’re not called a host. Better visit opundo.

I did and read the following:

Dove - dole, flight, piteousness


["There's a piteousness of a flight right there!"]

Doves - bevy, cote, dole, dule, flight, paddling

So, I saw a bevy of doves. Pity I didn’t put out more seed. Next time I see a paddling I’ll be ready.

.

No comments: