Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bird Watching: A host of sparrows - by the dozen

Again, the sparrows arrived at my bird feeders this morning in a mob.


["A gaggle of geese? A murder of crows?"]

There were too many to count.


Last fall I waited for a few weeks for birds to find my feeders. Now I wonder how soon I’ll have to buy another bag of mix.

According to ‘opundo’ by R. Sutcliffe, a mob of sparrows is actually called a host. Trust me to gaggle on a word or murder it.

Three pairs of juncos (a congregation, volary, dissimulation or parcel) arrived later and found the seed on the ground.


["Junco says - What you lookin' at?": photos GH]

I thought, hey, a parcel has arrived.

No I didn’t. Just kidding.

I called them an even half dozen.

***

More bird watching here.

A chain of bobolinks, perhaps?

.

No comments: