Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bird Watching: I think chickadees are bold

Or short-sighted. I’m not sure which.

English sparrows visit the feeder by the dozen but scatter when they hear me on the back stairs inside the house.


Juncos visit in pairs and disappear quickly too.


["The chickadee is waiting for me to walk inside": photos GH]

But chickadees, also in pairs, will watch me from the feeder while I step outside and even let me take their picture.


All birds will disappear to nearby branches when I approach to add a scoop of seed mix to the feeders. But half the time, as I’m walking toward my back door, a chickadee will be sitting in the feeder when I turn around for a last peek.

They’re either bold or need glasses.

What do you think?

***

I haven’t seen the juncos lately. Have they gone for good?

A bluejay visited yesterday but was gone by the time I returned with the camera.

.

2 comments:

lanniedee said...

If you don't rush at them and stand quietly and patiently with some bird seed on a large lid, say a garbage can, eventually a chickadee will come to you..Jamie did it in Bracebridge and one came and ate from the lid as he stood quietly watching..hello from P.E.I., just posted a new blog and wish it would STOP raining here..love sis

G. Harrison said...

i had a chickadee land 6 inches from my shoulder while sitting a lawn chair this summer.

then I sneezed. he never came back.

cheers