Friday, November 26, 2010

Green Ideas 2010 PT 1: Time for a little review

In early 2010 I listed 8 Green Ideas in the right hand margin and said I’d give them a try.

Let’s see. Where am I at?

For example, I listed the following:

1. No New Clothing 

For the second year in a row... I will buy no new clothes

I’m happy to report that - except for one slip - I am nearing the end of the year and am still well-clothed.


["New straw hat - hiding in the closet": photos GH]

(The slip - I bought a new straw hat in May or June, realized my gaffe a week later, set the new hat aside, and later bought a used one at a flea market in Fenelon Falls.) 


["Used straw hat - now my favourite"]

Though I primarily wear used jeans and well-worn T-shirts every day, when asked, I can shine myself up like a new dime and put on suit pants, shirts and jackets that look almost brand new but were not purchased in the last two years.

Lessons learned - most well-made clothing lasts a long, long time.

And used clothing in great repair is plentiful.

Honestly, I could probably go for a third year without any new clothes except for - okay, this could be embarrassing - two main reasons.

I need a few pairs of socks.

And... underwear.

Sounds like a Christmas wish list if I ever saw one.

I may not continue ‘Green Ideas’ next year but my habit of buying used duds is well established and will last a lifetime.

***

More ‘Green Ideas’ review to follow.

Read about Climate Change Concerns here.

.

No comments: