Thursday, November 25, 2010

Memory Lane: I’ll now have to look hard for a story

Last night, when a TV commercial started, I hopped up from the couch to return a plate to the kitchen.

“Are you going to the kitchen?” my wife asked immediately.

“Yeeeessss,” I said. I sensed something else was coming. After 40 years of marriage I don’t miss much, eh.

She described what she wanted from the kitchen. Half a Granny Smith apple. Sliced. No salt.

I pointed at her and said, “I knew that’s what you wanted. Great minds think alike.” (Totally bogus).


["Granny Smith, please. Sliced lovingly": photos GH]

As I sliced the apple I recalled a story my mother wrote about events around the family dinner table when my four sibs and I were kids. If anyone got up to go to the kitchen for any reason they received more than one request from others.

“Now that you’re up, bring me a knife.”


“Bring more gravy.”

“And bring me a dish cloth.” And so on.

It is a well written story. Makes me laugh.

Now that I’m up, I’ll have to find it.

***

More trips down Memory Lane here.

.

No comments: