Monday, November 8, 2010

Motorcycle Miles: Last ride for 2010?

I warmed up my motorcycle before noon.

My 1994 Yamaha Virago loves cool weather and sounded in perfect pitch whenever I held the speed at 110 kph on my way south to Hawk Cliff and the north shore of Lake Erie.


["The bike wanted to go faster so I stopped to settle it down":photos GH]

I stopped twice on the way.


["Do you stop to view out-buildings? What's with that?"]

The first time in St. Thomas to see if the LCBO stocked Double Dead Elephant Ale, brewed just a few blocks away. It did, but they were out - it was a one off. (So I bought one bottle of Rigour Mortis out of Montreal and will enjoy it in the workshop later today).


The second time at Fairview and Roberts, SE of St. Thomas, to snap a few pictures of an interesting out building. The lumber on one side would make crooked birdhouses, wouldn’t it?


I parked shortly thereafter at the end of Hawk Cliff Rd. and walked toward the edge of the bluff.


No hawks appeared but I was very satisfied just to breathe the fresh air deeply.

.

6 comments:

Veen said...

Nice bike. How many cc? I once rode the baby version of the virago - XV 125

G. Harrison said...

Hi Veen,

my latest bike has 1100cc. my previous 1984 Virago - very stylish - had 1000. if I had a large garage and a million bucks i'd have a large stable of bikes, including a couple of small bikes for short runs. I had a 125cc scooter and it was a pile of fun. i may end up w a scooter after i get one trips out of my system. cheers

Veen said...

Hi Gord, Awesome. Plenty of grunt alright. It is heavy? Weight is one of the reasons I don't go for the bigger cc bikes...I can't lift them to put them on the back stand! And there is nothing worse than a condesending salesman when you go bike shopping!Oh well.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Veen,

I got used to the increase in weight gradually over the last 6 - 7 years after a bad experience w 750cc Honda Shadow in the early '90s.

Starting in 2003 or 2004 I went from 125cc scooter to 250cc Suzuki Marauder to 650 Suzuki Savage to 1000cc Yamaha to current 1100 Yamaha. Biggest jump in weight was from 650 Savage to 1000 Yamaha but I was a better rider by then, less apt to drop the bike and w dreams of longer trips.

putting the bike on the back stand shouldn't hold you back. I've had to do it only a few times in the last several years - twice for instructors to get my M license; once to load my bike for a 4300 km. trip.

my best advice; look for a lightly used 650cc Suzuki Savage, cruiser style. Mine was just a few pounds heavier than an earlier 250cc Marauder, but provided lots of experience at higher speeds and introduced me to much longer trips (though the 250 was likely up to the same tasks, minus 10 - 15 kph).

i'll think more on this.

cheers

Veen said...

Thanks Gord, I checked the net for the Savage LS650 and it does look good. The reviews were encouraging too.

I have to say I like the look of the Marauder especially the maroon (and the fact a woman is riding it)
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki/2010-suzuki-gz250-marauder-ar66173.html

If you reckon the Marauder is up to the task with only a 10-15 kph loss of speed that seems pretty good considering the 400 cc difference between the bike.

Thanks for that.

Another question, why Suzuki?

G. Harrison said...

Veen, I can't believe the weather we are having in Ontario. Yesterday's ride was brilliant and I may go again Thurs. and Fri.

The Marauder 250 is great at 80 - 90 kph and has a bigger tank than the 650 and therefore a longer range. On two lane highways they are at home, but too light, in my opinion, for four-lane highways in heavier traffic. Having said that, I took the 650 on a long trip in 2006 w loads of gear and it handled four-lane aok when I couldn't find a two-lane route.

thot: you could start w 250, then step up to 650 if desire or need grew for a bit more speed. my old 250 is w a friend and I can see myself going back to it in 5 - 10 years - maybe as my last bike. it would be great within the city (London, 350 - 400,000 population) and on tours ranging from 200 - 2,000 kms.

why Suzuki?

I'll send an email later this morning w photos.

cheers