Monday, November 29, 2010

The Thrift Report: I spent a bit of money to make a bit more

Thanks to my wife, our small house is now more spacious - and at least 100 pounds lighter.

Yesterday she filled our car twice with odds and ends we were not going to use again and delivered them to Good Will Industries and Value Village.

On her trip to the Village of Values I tagged along.

As you may recall, I am in need of a leather belt... to hold my pants up, so my neighbours don’t think I’m down and out.


["My old belt needs a rest now and again": photos GH]

Hey, good news.


I found a leather belt for $5.00. Same price as my old one (circa 1969, from Quigley’s on the Thames), and if it stands up to the daily grind, it may one day be known as “my last belt.”

I found a perfectly good pair of Levi jeans too for 10 bucks. With proper care they’ll last 5 - 10 years. That comes out to $1 - $2 per year to hike myself to The Roaster for coffee. A good deal, in my opinion.


As well, I found an old shelf for $5 that will soon be worth $30 or $45. The lumber is dry, straight and painted a cheerful colour, and after I disassemble it and cut and sand the boards just right, I’ll end up with at least 2 or 3 nice birdhouses out of the deal. And coffee money for December!


Not bad, eh?

***

Is THRIFT under-rated?

.

No comments: