Saturday, November 20, 2010

Zoom w a View: Pileated woodpecker - 15 ft. from my wooden skull

Nose-deep into an earlier post about job creation, I barely noticed the loud call of a large bird as it settled onto a branch just outside the computer-room window of my son's house in Fenelon Falls.

But a memory stirred inside my little round and wooden head.

I recognize that sound, I thought. It's from a woodpecker.

I looked out the window, spotted the bird - a pileated woodpecker - and walked downstairs for my camera.

Shots through the window were blurred by the window screen. So, I stepped onto the balcony. The bird left, then returned, and I was able to get a few decent photos in spite of the strong wind, swaying branches and nervous antics of the bird.


("The bird finally sat still - for a second": photo GH)

Appearances by this type of woodpecker are becoming more frequent in Fenelon Falls. I saw my first such bird during a visit in September.

They may becoming less frequent in other locales.

This from an article entitled 'Pileated woodpecker is knocking on wood for survival.'

"A damning report, recently released by the Commission for Environmental Cooperation for North America (CEC), has indicated that timber harvest in Ontario is destroying the habitat of one of the province's iconic woodland bird species, the Pileated Woodpecker. The Ministry of Natural Resources has vowed to protect the bird, and yet Ontario's forestry policies are contributing to the species' decline."

Coincidentally, the species, along with several other creatures, is being threatened in the USA as well, so says 'song for the blue ocean,' a book mentioned in the aforementioned 'earlier post.'

The article went on to say the following:

"Pileated Woodpecker populations will drop dramatically unless the Ontario government intervenes and affords meaningful protection for the species. The report indicates that Pileated Woodpecker habitat will decrease in Ontario by 35% due to logging."

(Same problem in the US.)

"The report investigated how logging activities affect birds protected by the Migratory Birds Convention Act. The report shows that logging is destroying habitat and nesting grounds for several migratory bird species, such as the Boreal Chickadee and Bay-breasted Warbler. Although the Pileated Woodpecker is not a migratory species, the report indicates that their projected habitat loss is the most dramatic at 35%. The survival of both Ontario's local and migratory bird populations is at stake."
(March, 2007, earthroots.org)

I hope this won't be the last picture I'll ever get.

***

Are these birds in your neighbourhood?

Where?

.

6 comments:

Veen said...

No woodpeckers where i live...but beautiful parrots. Check out my post on rosellas...an Aussie parrot.

G. Harrison said...

thanks veen,

all is well here in Fenelon Falls, though the grand-daughters move faster than I do now.

cheers

Veen said...

LOL...I think everyone moves faster than you and I do!

All is well in Canberra too. Gorgeous day...currently sitting on 23C at 10:50 am; top of 26C today...yes, rubbing it in, LOL!

Take care.

G. Harrison said...

well, I know I'm slowing down, Veen!

you are rubbing it in. while walking the twins this morning I had to borrow my wife's wool cap to keep warm. saw snow on the way up in the car and ice this morning on the lake. i think that's why Canadians invented curling and hot chocolate.

cheers

MJ said...

Was walking through the Royal Botanical Gardens yesterday during a minor snow/sleet storm and saw a pileated woodpecker, downy, hairy and red-bellied all in the space of a few trees (while feeding chickadees out of my hand). Previously had only seen the former ripping apart my cedars at my cabin in Port Sydney.

G. Harrison said...

Hi MJ,

Thanks for your visit to It Strikes.

Sounds like the Botanical Gardens is well worth a visit. If you haven't been, I recommend the Butterfly Conserv. near Niagara Falls.

The pileated woodp. is of good size; I can see how they'd make a mess.

GH