Monday, December 13, 2010

Bird Watching: Juncos love the blue spruce

Several spruce trees grow outside my back window and they are alive today with juncos and chickadees. (When I cleared the deck of snow earlier, I heard several chipping out a few words of welcome).


["Blue spruce on the right - alive today": photos GH]

Two bird feeders are only 15 meters away so I often see birds flash back and forth for breakfast and lunch and dinner.

Sparrows crowd the feeders in large groups. Chickadees prefer one at a time. Juncos like the seed on the ground.


One junco found the old feeder I placed on the ground a few days ago (to make room for a larger one; it’s drying in the shed and may get placed on the clothesline later today).


There is a treasure of seed still stuck in the corners of the old feeder and one junco stayed for 20 minutes.

I eat my lunch faster than that. It must have been hungry!

***

More Bird Watching here.

.

No comments: