Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Morning Smile: Local squirrels - back to square one

Yesterday, after huddling around an Etch-A-Sketch and chattering away like only a vicious group of furry rodents can do, MP Squirrel (Master Planner) and his gang devised a way to get onto my bird feeder and sample a small portion of seed mix before I chased them away with a sturdy broom.

Oh, I felt so ashamed.

How cocky I had been just hours earlier.

MP had determined my garbage can storage box (GCSB) was close enough to the feeder to serve as a launch pad.


[“MP jumped from the far corner of GCSB. Stink!”: photos GH]

Footprints on the lid - on the corner closest to the feeder - and one matching set on the feeder’s roof supplied all the proof I needed. (Oh yeah, I’m clever too, maybe even as clever as a big hairy rat!)


Thirty seconds of pushing and pulling later, I had moved the GCSB farther from the seed mix.

Today, while eating Chinese food left over from Ollie’s fourth birthday, I heard two smacks on the back deck.

Smack. 10 second delay. Smack. (Really, just like that).


Rats, I thought.

Sure enough, MP was back.

But unsuccessful he was.

Without a launch pad he was back to square one (“Get out yer Etch-A-Sketch, Fuzzball!) and left to root around in the snow in search of seed he had spilled yesterday.


[“MP won’t even look me in the eye. HA!]

All hail!

***

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

It Strikes me Funny - please click here

.

No comments: