Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Morning Vignettes PT 4 at The Little Red Roaster

Just before my wife and I left The Roaster this morning (and after miles of interesting conversation), I got up from my chair to steal a refill of dark roast.

As I walked behind the counter I said to Karen, a girl on staff, “Don’t worry about me. I’m just stealing coffee.”

And so began my second conversation of the morning that included the word ‘smarmy.’

While filling up my large mug, and just before throwing loose change into the tip jar, I turned toward Karen and asked, “Have you heard of the word ‘smarmy?’”

“Sure,” she said.

“What does it mean to you,” I asked.

Her nose wrinkled almost right away and I thought she was going to refer to fish guts, but she mentioned a few other ideas.

We agreed upon ‘too familiar’ and a ‘little too close for comfort,’ and she finished with ‘like a weasel.’

“Yes, weasel,” I said, right away.

I have used ‘weasel’ for many years and there were times when it certainly meant smarmy.

Most of the times in the past, however, particularly when talking with elementary students, I tried to convey a positive tone with the word weasel, as in, sure, you can borrow my tape dispenser, but bring it right back, you little weasel.


[“Not all weasels are bad guys”: photo link here]

I’m pretty sure most of the kids took it the way it was intended.

Ten per cent of the time one would reply, I’m not the weasel. You’re the weasel.

And I never flinched. I realized I had a winner.

Sorry, I digress.

Because Karen and I seemed to be on the same page with the meaning of smarmy, I thought I’d give another idea a test drive.

I said, “Would you say that some people - people who come across as too familiar with you - have got a touch of the smarm?”

“Oh, definitely,” she said.

Refill in hand, I returned to my seat for my coat, glad that Karen and I had had that little chat.

Good coffee. Stirring conversation. Easy, breezy human contact. Free refill. Right with the world and some strange words.

Not a bad morning.

[End of Scene 4 and Morning Vignettes.]

***

Where did smarmy come from?

For more about my history with the word, please click here.

.

2 comments:

Lanniedee said...

Smarmy: Ask ten people and probably get ten different answers. What comes to mind to me is someone who take "charming" to a whole new level and starts giving you compliments that perhaps contains some truth, but you are wondering;"what do they want from me?"..people who lay it on thick with an ulterior motive, like a salesman with shiny, slicked backed hair, his best smile, his teeth gleaming, wanting you to buy his vacuum cleaner, telling you how lovely you look today while standing in the doorway in your hair rollers, housecoat and huge rabbit slippers, ha, ha..love L.Dee

G. Harrison said...

yes, salesmen can be smarmy, good call, LD. However, they have to be for those ladies still in their curlers!

Cheers,

Gord