Thursday, January 6, 2011

Read This: Tarka the Otter, an amazing tale, I’m sure

On Tuesday night I watched a film on TVO entitled ‘On the Trail of Tarka’ by Paul Williams.

Absolutely brilliant, in my humble opinion.

Here are a few words about the film, as written by a DVD distributor:

“In 1927, Henry Williamson wrote Tarka the Otter, about the life and death of an otter in Devon.

“This film goes in search of Tarka's descendents. Do they still fish the same pools as their forebears?

“Williamson's otters were treated as vermin and were trapped and hunted for sport. Today the otter is an endangered species and our attitude towards it has changed.

“Do the lives of modern otters reflect this shift?

“Combining well-loved fiction with modern-day fact, this film contrasts the dramatic events of the novel with actual events from a modern otter's life.”

And again, the film was absolutely brilliant. Truthful commentary, superb filming, with a great connection to the background story.

Did you see the film?

(Click here to visit the film-maker’s website).

Have you ever heard about or read H. Williamson’s 83 year-old book? I recommend you look for both film and book.


[Photo link to amazon.co.uk]

I think I’ll take a look for the book now. I otter do it right away before I forget.

***

Here’s another book I recommend highly: ‘song for the blue ocean’ - see Read This, right hand margin.

.

No comments: