Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bits and Pieces: Three big smiles, three personal records

Many long years ago - it feels like decades - I was a long distance runner.

Half-marathons (21.1 km.), 30 km. road races (e.g., Hamilton Around the Bay), full-marathons (42.2 km. or 26.2 miles) - all were my cup of tea.

Yesterday, while cleaning out a closet, I came across some cherished photos in which I am demonstrating how happy I can be, especially after the race is all over and done.

Below, I am completing the Forest City marathon in London, Ontario, with my fastest finish ever, i.e., in 3 hr. 33 min. 41 sec., which was - at the time - my age group’s qualifying time for the Boston marathon. (I ran in Boston the following April).


[“I am over two minutes ahead of schedule”: Official race photo]

I am smiling! I have just enough strength to order two cans of Guinness.


[“One Guinness. I’m allowed two? Two Guinness!”]

Moments later, though a nurse cannot find my pulse and will therefore not allow me to leave her supervision (true story), I am very happy to be alive - with cans of Guinness “on the way.”


[“Come on! I’m obviously alive, so let me go to the beer tent, please.”]

Tony R. and I have just finished our legs in a 100 km. marathon and are delighted to be off a muddy course, onto dry land, in clean shirts - with cheeseburgers and beer “on the way.”


[“Hell, Michigan, puts on a heckuva race!”]

Three personal records -

my London marathon time

my 100 km race time in Hell

my first leg in Hell; I whipped Tony’s butt and won a bet

Do I miss long distance running?

Half of it. I miss everything but the training and racing.

***

Please click here to read more Bits and Pieces.

.

No comments: