Monday, February 14, 2011

The Simple Life: “We’re all in this together”

My oldest son and one of his running/cycling buddies love a certain old photograph of Tour de France racers to bits.

Because a large print of four competing cyclists hangs in a guest room in my son’s house - and I kinda like it too - I snapped a few pictures of it this past weekend. (Sorry about the poor quality. My fault).


[“Here’s a light. Lean this way.”]

Though my son and I are 21 years apart in age, I think I get what he may like about the scene.

Competitors. Co-operation. We’re all in this together.


[“I’ll steady you while you light up. Then off we go.”: photos GH]

For those who are wondering about the smokes. Early riders thought that puffing on a cigarette would clear their lungs, or prepare their lungs, for the steep mountain climbs about to come.

Those days are gone but something lives on in the photograph.

Do you see something else?

***

Please click here for more of The Simple Life.

.

No comments: