Friday, March 4, 2011

Bits and Pieces: A culinary and photo challenge

Food prices are going north. We shouldn’t be surprised.

Maybe we’re disappointed that it’s happening, but not surprised. And already some readers may be learning to cook in order to cut costs.


["Yellow label Frontier Stew. What can be said about it?"]

Years ago, after I retired, I made my first batch of lasagna as a learning experience and a challenge. I learned I could cook great lasagna and - related to a challenge to myself - make more than a large tray of a popular brand of frozen lasagna for the same price.


["Can I make 665 grams of stew for a cheaper price?"]

(I wrote a column about it. The world was turned on its ear. Maybe I’ll look for it. Maybe I’ll reprint it here now that the column is my property again).


["Don't let this nice picture fool you.": photos by GH]

Due to rising food costs and the distinct possibility I’ll find myself in the kitchen more than in the past, I’ve issued myself two challenges.

One. Make something like Frontier Stew (not ‘exactly’ like, fer Pete’s sake) but for a cheaper price.


["With flash. I am looking for the green beans."]

Two. Take a photo of yellow label Frontier Stew that makes it look better than it actually tastes.


["Without flash. I've stopped lookin' fer the beans."]

I’ve got my work cut out for me.

***

Please click here for more Bits and Pieces.

Please click here for a trip to Zoom w a View.

.

No comments: