Thursday, March 3, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: Pt 1 - Secrets to a long, happy marriage

The smell of my next column is in the air.

Early this morning I read ‘Love amidst war’ by D. Carruthers in this morning’s issue of The Londoner and immediately identified with the featured couple, Jim and Agnes McCauley, who celebrated their 67th wedding anniversary six days ago.

They met in Scotland in 1941. My dad was in Scotland at the same time. They married in 1944. My dad married his first wife (also Scottish) in 1944. Now in their late 80s, they’re still happy to be together. When my wife and I are that age, I hope we’ll be together too and spinning around the dance floor at Peaches and Cream Retirement Terrace (yet to be built) to songs by The Everly Brothers.


["I got your number." "I got your number too."]

A couple of things Jim said about marriage caught my attention.

“You eliminate the fights and stuff like that and carry on with the nice parts.”

After 40 years of marriage, I couldn’t agree more.

And as for why their marriage reached 67 years, Jim said, “You work (together) at things in life.”

How true.

I started to wonder (thus the smell of the column), what could Pat and I do to eliminate any future fights and to work together for peace and progress on the home front for the next 27 years?

(Just offhand, 67 is close to a world record of some kind, isn’t it? Does the Queen of England keep track of such events? She really should. What about the Chancellor of the Exchequer or Canada’s Minister of Finance? Ditto. Sorry. I digress).

One marriage tip came to mind while grabbing a shower right after reading The Londoner.

I’ll get into it in great detail tomorrow.

***

First, I need a coffee. For some reason, I’m chilled this morning. More details later.

Please click here for an earlier post re It Strikes Me Funny.

.

No comments: