Sunday, March 27, 2011

Small Pleasures: I’m undefeated, with unlimited potential

I’ve been writing and talking a lot about hockey lately. And brainpans and concussions.

And as circumstance would have it, last Wednesday, after our age 50-plus hockey game, a few other fellows and I got talking about our hockey experiences in our ‘early days.’

Some shared stories from their Jr. A and AHL days. One had been Wayne Gretzky’s teammate when he played with the Soo Greyhounds.

I told them about my two-piece leather helmet, and pants with wooden slats for padding and protection.
Some of us wondered how we got out of the ‘60s alive.

Talk turned to other sports. Football, baseball, soccer, basketball, wrestling.

When wrestling was mentioned my eyes brightened.

“I graduated from high school undefeated in four years of wrestling, including county meets against schools that cleaned our clocks during hockey season,” I said.

When a few guys began to look me over pretty closely (I bear no hint of super strength; nary a six-pack to be seen), I added, “It sure helped - in wrestling, at least - to be under 125 pounds in grades 10 to 13.”

Others were undefeated in other sports and events. We ran the gamut and I had a few perfect closers.

“I was undefeated in the 220 yard dash. I was the only kid with track shoes, with spikes, and could handle the curve better, especially on grass tracks.”

“Dave Alexander I were also never beaten in the three-legged race. Five or six years running. The school principal eventually cancelled the event and mailed ribbons to our house.”


That needed some explaining for a few younger members of our team. (Two boys run side by side, hands around each other’s waist, inside legs tied together, usually with a belt).

My last (and much-celebrated) feat needed some explaining too.

“I sit here today undefeated in the 50-yard sack race, six to seven years running.”


[Photo link to the sack race]

The dressing room was silent when I explained the event.

“Everybody brought a sack of some kind, got into it, and then had to get from start to finish, hopefully, without falling. Most people hopped. But there was no rule against running. And the bran sacks my dad had in the barn were so big I could stick my feet into the corners and run as fast in the sack as I did without it.”

“The principal eventually cancelled that event too. No ribbons in the mail, however.”


Give me a bran sack and I’ll show you how it’s done. And I’ll easily clean your clock.

***

Do you sit or stand undefeated in some sport or event?

Please click here to see rescued lumber with unlimited potential.

.

No comments: