Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Austerity without Anxiety: Practice does make perfect, eh

The more I practice my wrist shot (once a thing of beauty) the more fear will grow in the hearts of goalies in the 50-plus league. Perhaps everywhere.

And the more I practice austere measures today the more prepared I’ll be for tougher, thinner, pricier times ahead on Planet Earth.

Already I have a few austere habits. (Please follow the ‘Please click here’ links below.) They’re in my genes, eh. I cook my own oatmeal, brew my own coffee, make a Frontier Stew that costs less and tastes better than canned.

Why, I even cut my own hair. I’ve been doing so for almost 20 years, and am on my second set of electric clippers and attachments.


* [“Q: What are the ear plugs for?”: photos by GH]

Total cost in 20 years - about $80 ($35 - $40 per set).

Total savings - 10 - 12 haircuts per year x 20 bucks (incl. tip) = $4,000 - $4,800.


[“I don’t care if Bob thinks I’m square.”]

Truth be told, I also save time by cutting my own hair, and by keeping it so short I’ve stopped using shampoo (more savings). I just give my hair a quick swipe with my face cloth and ordinary soap while nabbing a shower. My wife says she has not noticed any dandruff for 20 years... on me!

Of course, she can’t run her fingers through what’s left of my hair anymore but that’s another story.

***

Do you cut your own hair? How much have you saved? I bet it’s substantial.

Please click here for more Austerity without Anxiety.

* [“A: My wife uses the ear plugs. She checks the back of my head when I’m done and once nicked my ear when she zipped a spot I’d missed. I screamed like a baby.”]

.

No comments: