Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fun and Fitness: “What do you do with the extra miles?”

I used to say, “I want to live until I’m 87.” But I’ve been doing so well riding 100-plus miles per week on my exercise bike and collecting ‘extra’ miles (375 - that’s an NR, new record), I think I can upgrade that comment.


Here goes: I want to live until I’m 90 years old. That gives me 5 years of gravy.

(Definition - gravy: If I live until I’m 85 I will draw my pension for as many years as I contributed to it. Every year past that is ‘gravy.’ : ) Thick beef gravy.)

Recently I was asked, “What do you do with the extra miles?”

Good question. And the answer is... not much. If I’m away for the weekend, don’t get in my last ride or two of the week and complete less than 100 miles, I subtract the difference from the extra miles and remind myself that it’s okay to miss 100 every once in awhile. So, the extra miles act as a bank. When I’m short on miles I make a withdrawal.

The question got me thinking. Since I’m collecting extra miles so often, perhaps I should raise my goal to 110 miles per week. I’m already doing it now, but can I do it for the next two years?

Or until I’m 90?

***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness.

http://itstrikesmefunny.blogspot.com/2011/05/fun-and-fitness-playing-on-big-rink-fun.html

.

No comments: