Friday, May 13, 2011

“IT STRIKES” Again: PT 2 Looking for a healthy breakfast? Try the Corn Pops diet

[The exciting conclusion of a story that was first published in The Londoner on Nov. 7, 2002 now follows. Hold onto your hats. Read PT 1 here.]

Looking for a healthy breakfast? Try the Corn Pops diet

... If I was going to turn over a new leaf in retirement and eat a healthy breakfast to start my busy days then muesli was going to be the cereal for me.

I shook the box of muesli carefully before opening so the full range of natural ingredients would be equally distributed, grabbed a nearby dish and began to pour. Out fell raisins and barely flakes and wheat flakes and rolled oats with peanuts and niacinamide and folic acid. All natural products.

I poked carefully at the assortment of items with the tip of my spoon. I again poured out more cereal. Out came more wheat flakes and rolled oats with sultanas and pumpkin seeds and thiamine mononitrate - and finally, one squatty, wrinkled, little banana chip. Something wasn’t right in Muesli-land.


["Where are my banana chips?": photo of miserable GH]

One person is always able to find my wallet, watch or glasses when I misplace them.

“Pat, have you seen my banana chips?” I asked.

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about,” came her innocent reply.

“I’m referring to the numerous banana chips that are supposed to be in the Muesli. Have you seen any of them?” I asked once more.

“Oh, I may have had a few in my first couple of bowls but I can’t recall any great number of them. Why?” she inquired.

“Well, I’m trying to turn over a new leak, make as many healthy choices as possible. PC English-style Muesli seems to be the way to go at breakfast time, but there aren’t any banana chips. I mean, look at this picture. There should be hundreds,” I stated, holding the box before her as evidence.

“Why don’t you throw in a small handful of your corn pops?” she offered.

So it went. And so it goes. Daily I enjoy a wholesome breakfast - with a small scoop of crunchy corn pops thrown in for good measure.

***

Please click here to read PT 1 Looking for a healthy breakfast? Try the Corn Pops diet

.

No comments: