Saturday, May 14, 2011

Zoom w a View: PT 2 “I’ll never win this battle”

Admittedly, the dandelions will win.

But at least I have a strategy that will help me battle them to the end without losing face. A pail on the porch. Dandelion stabber at the ready.

I have the feeling, however, the hardy dandelion will soon be the least of my worries as I try (insert laugh track here) to keep my lawn free of interlopers.

The backyard is bordered with ferns and wild violets, transplanted from a campsite on the Bruce Peninsula that my wife and I rented for many years.


“They will look lovely in our yard,” my wife told me as she filled the trunk of the car with buckets of fern and violets after a camping trip 15 - 20 years ago.

“Cool,” I said.

And 15 years ago they did look cool.


Fast forward, May, 2011. Wild violets have spread across the entire back yard. Ferns are close behind.


Fast forward, May, 2041. I’ll be 91 years old. I’ll want to visit my shed, then sit down for awhile and think about making a birdhouse if I can find the darn hammer. Four-foot tall ferns will block my way as I search for the workshop door. Violets will blanket Thames Park, 4 blocks north of the house and be marching toward Tecumseh Park, home of the London Majors and Majorettes.


["Violets and ferns are on the move": photos GH]

Dandelions are in for the fight of their lives.

***

Please click here for PT 1 “I’ll never win this battle”

.

No comments: