Sunday, June 19, 2011

Austerity Without Anxiety: A ‘poor boy’ lunch

A local organization used to invite members of the public to a ‘Poor Boy’s Lunch’ as a fundraising venture.

Donors would pay a fee and receive a hot dog, a spoonful of beans and a drink in return, if I recall correctly.

That’s ‘gourmet’ compared to my poor boy lunch today.


["Four spuds - perfect": photo GH]

Four small spuds with butter, bit of banana and a small glass of skim milk is all I feel I need to tide me over ‘til 5 p.m. (I’ll pack an apple when I leave for a bike ride later this afternoon).

Some will think I carry austerity measures a bit far, that because I have the means to eat more for lunch that I should eat more, that we live in a land of plenty so I should have plenty.

Some, if faced with the same lunch might say, “I don’t want to, I don’t have to, and I won’t (eat it).”

Others will think I live like a king in a free land.

Whatever the case, I feel it’s all I need and believe if I practice living under my means when opportunities arise I one day be good at it.

And if tough times come our way, I’ll be ready to live on less. Practice makes perfect, as they say, and four small spuds are perfect for today.

***

Please click here to read more Austerity Without Anxiety.

.

No comments: