Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Birdhouse Hunting: Purple Martins in the air... and hats

[“There’s no place like hat.” Gord Harrison, June 5, 2011]

Port Bruce is a tiny hamlet located on the north shore of Lake Erie, five or six miles south of Aylmer, and is - in my humble opinion - the birdhouse capital of southern Ontario.

When entering the port I often turn right on Rush Creek Rd., bike slowly east for about one mile, park at the side of the road adjacent to Wayne Cahill’s spacious property (he has an easy-to-spot red mailbox), take off my motorcycle helmet and reach for my camera.



[* Note - swooping marting in upper right of photo below.]


Then I duck. Purple Martins fill the air and often swoop toward me to see what’s left of my hair. Or, maybe they’re curious about my motorcycle helmet.

Mr. Cahill has built several metal trees filled with a dozen-plus modified hard hats and martins fill many of the hats. That’s right - they’re at home in a hard hat.




["Plastic helmets - solid homes.": photos GH]

They’re also at home in gourds and salad bowls. But, according to the numbers, there’s no place like hat.

***

Please click here for more Birdhouse Hunting.

.

No comments: