Sunday, June 5, 2011

“IT STRIKES” Again: Conclusion - Family pictures Tupperware-fresh for future generations

[The first half of the following article (originally published almost 9 years ago) can be read here for context. Go ahead. I’ll wait. Included below is my favourite photo from Chicago, taken the day before the marathon, October, 2002. gah]

Family pictures Tupperware-fresh for future generations PT 2

How many times do we have the patience to look at ourselves eating turkey or opening presents from one year to the next? (It appears I ate turkey last year in much the same way as I ate it in the early 1950s. I have the black and whites to prove it.)

So, photos in hand, I resorted to the well-worn habit of trying to stuff them into one of the four Tupperware containers under our bed.


["My #1 shot from Chicago, inside 'rain dog cafe'": photo GH]

The tubs are so full our mattress lays at an awkward angle. At present, one person is needed to lift the bed frame while the other pulls a tub out from under. Eventually my wife and I will be too weak to show anyone we have a family history. We’ll be able to sleep on it but not look at it.

Another problem followed on the heels of the last. Once the plastic container was out and the lid was popped I entered a nostalgic time-zone from which it was nearly impossible to escape.

I chuckled about hair-styles, eye-glass frames and wildly colourful, durable polyester fashions we wore without embarrassment in the distant past.

When I saw our two boys as youngsters I was compelled to stop for a backward peek. I paused to wonder why we have 48 pictures from different angles of David and Paul holding red and green balloons. I asked myself if they would remember dressing up as Batman and Robin day after day?

Eventually the need to eat urged me toward my present senses and I barely squeezed the latest package of photos into the last remaining space.

The next batch will likely find a new home in the large iMac box Pat asked me to save in case we ever move. It is easily large enough for the next 20 year’s worth of photographs.

Meanwhile, our combined family histories (Tamblyn/Harrison) dating back to the 1940s, in no apparent order or chronology, will remain Tupperware fresh for future generations.

***

Please click here to read PT 1 of Family pictures Tupperware-fresh for future generations.

.

No comments: