Saturday, July 16, 2011

Austerity without Anxiety: “I cut the glass in half and - voila!”

[“Skim milk is a type of diary product that generally contains less than 0.5% milk fat. It is made by removing much of the fat from whole milk and is often preferred for its nutritional value. There are many benefits to drinking skim milk, which can range from reducing body weight to building muscles and staying fit.” www.wisegeek.com]

I’ve heard that skim milk is good for you.

Years ago my dad said, “Drink skim milk. It’s better for you.”

Better than what, I thought. Than a kick in the pants? I didn’t bother to ask. I took a quick drink, it was cold, then ran out the back door to the ball park to play third base for the local Juvenile fastball team. I hit a few singles and stole third base twice that night. Coincidence? You decide.

Today I drink skim milk because I still want milk in my diet, it is a great drink when really cold, and it costs less money than homogenized.


["Add cubes. Freeze your mouth off!": photo GH]

I add ice cubes on occasion to make it colder than when it comes out of the fridge. And I sometimes add half a glass of water to save on the milk content and stretch a one week’s supply to two.

I do the same (or add even more water) to most bottled juices and ice teas. I like the reduced sweetness and flavour and enjoy seeing my dollars last longer.

Some will say, “You got the money. Live it up, man!”

I say, “I actually think cutting some of my drinks in half with water is a healthy choice. Saves money too, for other, more important choices in life.”

Austerity. No anxiety. I’ll drink to that.

***

I’ve heard the North American diet, including a plethora of sugar- or corn syrup-sweetened fruit drinks, is not fully healthy. That it can kill you even.

I’m liking my cut-in-half habit more every day.

What else could we cut in half for our own good?

Please click here for more Austerity without Anxiety.

.

No comments: