Thursday, July 7, 2011

Birdhouse London: Best idea of the day

A pretty good idea came to mind last Sunday - check on the condition of the birdhouses I’ve placed in the countryside north of my hometown of Norwich. Oh, and go by motorcycle.

Okay, that’s two good ideas. But later, during a coffee break, I came up with the best one of the day, in my humble opinion.

Before getting to my own birdhouses I stopped to check on a few of my dad’s that had been placed on Quaker St. west, south of Burgessville, in the 1990s.


["Some of dad's houses look better with age.": photo GH]

During my tramp around a farmer’s property I found an old plywood model resting and rotting upon the ground. I decided to leave it there because it was in bad shape, and a return to the soil seemed like an appropriate fate for the old, faded scraps of wood.


Two hours later, coffee in hand, a light came on. In a notebook I jotted down the following words:


“IDEA re birdh. pick up face of one of dad’s lying on ground; clean it, paint it, add it to front of one of my own.”

On the way home I revisited the farmer’s field and stashed one piece of dad’s plywood model in my backpack, then happily rode home for supper.

I cleaned it up the other day and will soon have a one-of-a-kind birdhouse model to show you. And by the time it’s ready to show here, perhaps I’ll have answered important questions concerning it.

I.e., should I hang it? Where?

***

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Please click here for more Birdhouse London.

.

No comments: