Tuesday, July 19, 2011

London’s Trees: Thames Park is home to some real crackers

[Benefit 1. Alleviating the "Greenhouse Effect," trees act as carbon "sinks." E.g., 1 acre of new forest will sequester about 2.5 tons of carbon annually. Planting 100 million trees could reduce the amount of carbon by an estimated 18 million tons per year and at the same time, save Canadian consumers $4 billion each year on utility bills. Reforest London Why plant a tree?]

After coffee at The Red Roaster this morning, and in spite of the heat (I think it was 155 degrees in the shade), I felt I had to get out again and stretch my legs.

Atop my 1964 Raleigh ten-speed I pedalled north to Alaska, but cut things short - quite a bit short - and relaxed a bit in Thames Park, about six blocks from my house.

Good choice. Alaska is an expensive trip. All I had on me was five bucks. Plus, there is a shaded pathway or entrance to the park off Wortley Rd. and I wanted to test some facts and details.


I.e., “Shade from trees cools hot streets and parking lots. Cities are "heat islands" that are 5 - 9 degrees hotter than surrounding areas. And cities spread each year.” (Why plant a tree? Benefit 11)

I stepped off the bike and into the shade of several tall trees. I immediately felt 5 - 9 degrees cooler, maybe more. I sipped water from a flask and grabbed my camera. On the ground nearby I spotted several curved branches perfect for supporting birdhouses. I made a mental note to come back later. (Note: “Gord, come back later. Don’t get caught.”)


I spied what’s left of the once mighty Thames River through the branches of towering trees (some real crackers) and decided to take a closer look. Well-worn pathways between willows, maples and ash trees took me to the water’s edge.


I took note of the following:

quiet scenes undisturbed by nearby and busy roadways

discarded articles of clothing and a couple of empty beer cans

ancient trees with orange dots, destined to be trimmed or removed (perhaps)

low water level in the Thames

calming sounds of moving water

a well-used green space, dozens of ‘shade islands’, a parking lot and bike path, with two people on a tennis court and groups under wide, healthy trees


red-wing black birds defending home turf


["Photos in or from Thames Park by GH"]

rows of nicely-spaced, medium-sized maples planted beside pathways and the tennis courts (our Urban Foresty Dept. has been at work)

a busy swimming pool

Refreshed in my own way, legs stretched, and feeling like a happy camper, I cycled uphill on Ridout St. to Craig, then home, all the while aware of a touch of shade from the park still upon my shoulders.

***

Please click here to read more about London’s trees.

.

No comments: