Monday, August 15, 2011

The Workshop: “Busy times ahead,” says Dusty Jeans

My outdoor project is proceeding at an easy pace, even though I don’t have a schedule I can show you. Maybe that’s why I move at an easy pace.


["Two doors are now hinged and have sturdy wooden latches."]

And the project (a reading/writing alcove that will sport a new storage unit, table, chairs and funky fence decor) has grown legs. Branches might be a better term since several pieces of rescued lumber are involved.


["One more door - small job; moving pile of stone under tarp - big job."]

Though the storage unit only needs one last door, I will also soon build a sturdy compost bin to replace an old plastic unit with a slide-up hatch that a sturdy skunk is able to wrestle with and remove. (Am I overusing the word ‘sturdy’? Sorry, but you should see that skunk!)


["This compost bin has got to go!": photos by Dusty Jeans]

On this week’s flexible to-do list I find the following:

final door for storage unit

remove, sell, give away leftover stone in alcove area

build a small table for alcove (I know. I still haven’t shown you the unique piece of lumber I have for that table).

turn rescued lumber from old garbage bin into a compost bin

sweep up the alcove and workshop (the dust is almost knee deep)





["A few pieces of flat stone caught my eye. Cedar frames are very sturdy!"]

Sure, I’d be farther ahead if I didn’t spend time on funky fence decor, but I can’t toss all the stone out.

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop.

.

No comments: