Sunday, September 25, 2011

Austerity Without Anxiety: “These boots are made for walkin’...”

Walkin’ to the workshop, that is. They’re made for walkin’ to the compost bin too.

And for stopping to feed the birds on the way. And for cutting the grass, especially when it’s a titch damp outside.


["Like Thomas the Train, the boots are useful.": photo GH]

I purchased the rain boots many, many, many years ago, and because the depth of puddles in Wortley Village never got up to the tops of the boots but once (Remember the storm of ’77?), I tossed them into a corner in the basement and forgot about them... for many, many years.

Now they get lots of use. Instead of buying some ‘work-around-the-house’ boots a while back, I went looking for my old rain boots, found them covered in dust, washed them off, cut off the uppers and placed them on the steps inside the back door.

I slip them onto my feet several times per week. I left a tab at the back to help pull them on. Wasn't that clever?

When winter comes, I switch to fur-lined boots, but ‘til then, the rubber cut-offs do lots of walkin’.

And tamping earth down into holes in the lawn after a local skunk digs for grubs.

And edging the lawn in spring...

***

Please click here for more Austerity Without Anxiety.

.

No comments: