Friday, September 2, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: “Unusual natural sightings” in London PT 1

This week in my column, after telling the story of how this old geezer tracked down an American Kestrel in a local park, I ask readers to send me news about their own “unusual natural sighting.”

Teresa D. emailed the following this morning:

“6 weeks ago I spied a redheaded woodpecker.  I know they're not rare, being skittish little pals, this guy hung around for 20 min.  He was perched on the top of my backyard gate just 6 feet from my dining room window.  I didn't want to startle him so I just watched for a full 10 min before stealing away to get my camera. A second bird, probably his mate arrived and sat on the fence.  I only got within about 20 feet and did get some highly zoomed in shots before he took flight.  It made my day.” TD

I was in Fenelon Falls last summer when I last saw redheaded woodpeckers, but can’t find the photos. Rats.

However, I have a picture from Fenelon Falls of my son in a tree, about to dive into the channel. He had a short, scary flight.

FYI: Teresa’s email ended with the following message:

“Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.”

It raises the question - Have you enjoyed blackberries this summer? Are they even ripe yet?

Let me know.

***

Please click here for more It Strikes Me Funny.

.

No comments: