Saturday, September 3, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: “Unusual natural sightings” in London PT 3

Several readers sent me emails after I asked for news about “unusual natural sightings” in a recent column.

Gail D. sent the following:

“Enjoyed your column of the sighting of the kestrel but I think that I had an even more exciting bird sighting  last week.

Hubby and I were headed to Ipperwash for a day at the beach when we spied two large 'somethings' in a vacant field near a line of cedars. We looked at each other ("Did you see what I saw?"), so Bill pulled to the side of the road and backed up so we could have a good look.

Now while not a bona fide bird watcher, I am a bird lover and thought that I knew most of the birds that stayed or passed through our area. There we were in Sylvan Ont. and I had no idea what I was looking at.

There were two huge upright birds with long necks, red patches on heads, black beaks and legs ....... some kind of African bird belonging to the neighboring farmer?

Luckily our bird book is never too far away so after a bit of trial and error we discovered that we were looking at a pair of Sandhill cranes. What a thrill!

They didn't seem at all bothered by us but kept pecking at the ground. They seemed to move in unison strolling and pecking.

That sighting was a first for me, but I hope it won’t be the last time I'll see these very impressive birds.”
GD

I think Gail wins the prize for most unusual natural sighting. (Of course, there are no prizes awarded at this site because they would cost me money).

For those like myself who have not seen a Sandhill crane, I include the picture below, along with one other related photo.


[Link to photo at Michigan Nature Association]

If I did award prizes, this is what I would present to Gail D.


["Yup, it's pocket change."]

Thanks again for your emails.

***

Please click here to read “Unusual natural sightings” in London PT 2.

.

No comments: