Friday, September 16, 2011

Live Small and Prosper PT 2: “I love my three-wheeled truck”

[End of an Era - Ford of Canada St. Thomas assembly plant: Opened Dec. 16, 1967. Closed Sept. 15, 2011... last car off the line, Crown Victoria. Sept 16, London Free Press]


Though I don’t own one yet, I already love my future three-wheeled truck. It will be so economical to drive. I bet my monthly fuel costs will be under $50.

Plus, on three wheels, I’ll be the rebel in my neighbourhood.

I could buy a cheap e-bike right now but I don’t want electric because if everyone goes electric then the necessary infrastructure costs will be enormous. I also want an enclosed cab for winter driving inside the city and I think the millions of future drivers of three-wheeled trucks will want one too, so they can drive to work and later pick up three or four bags of groceries on the way home without getting wet or freezing to death, especially in Canada.


[“Can I get canvas doors on this one?”: photo link]

So far, my dream to buy one ‘Made in Canada’ is far from becoming a reality. Most automotive manufacturers remain in the grip of the culture of big. (I stood beside a pickup recently and it was so tall it blotted out the sun. Sorry, I digress).

Perhaps politicians and business leaders will see the connection between smaller vehicles and job opportunities in the near future and reopen the Ford Talbotville plant. The experienced workforce that hit the streets after the plant’s recent closing might appreciate the work.

What do you think of a three-wheeled truck for your urban transportation needs?

***

Please click here for Live Small and Prosper PT 1: “I love my three-wheeled truck.”

.

No comments: