Saturday, September 17, 2011

Zoom w a View: Is this London’s smallest house?

While pushing my twin grand-daughters around Old South yesterday I passed by one of my favourite small houses.

It is located on the west side of Marley Place, between Elmwood Ave. and Bruce St.


I asked a woman entering the house - I thought she was the owner - if she knew the square footage. She didn't know the answer but told me her friends, the real owners, said it was the smallest house in London.

“And the backyard has been turned into a natural paradise,” she added.


["Is this London's smallest house?": photos G.Harrison]

I’m just guessing. The front of the house looks like it’s no more than 14 - 15 feet wide and the back is less than 20 ft. wide. The length appears no more than 32 - 36 ft. Total sq. ft. could therefore be under 600.

I know there are a few tiny houses behind the Childrens’ Museum on Wharncliffe, but are they less that 600 sq. ft.? I’m not sure, so I can’t answer my question about the house on Marley.

Do you know the answer? Is it London's smallest house?

***

Please click here for more about small things.

.

4 comments:

carmilevy said...

It looks too deep to be the city's smallest house. There was one in Old North - on William Street, just south of Oxford, if memory serves - that at first glance seems smaller than this one.

Then again, this one would get my vote as the prettiest small house in town. What a lovely structure!

(My first apartment was 500 square feet, so I figure I'd fit rather nicely on a place like this. Post-kids-moving-out, of course!)

G. Harrison said...

Hi Carmi,

I know the area you speak of, i.e., William (south) and Oxford, and recall a few wee houses there. I'll ride the bike up that way asap, and include Grosvenor and Waterloo area; I recall another wee one around there, frame cottage, light green.

500 sq. ft. might be ideal for one or two studious people... but until your children have their own digs, stay put!

GH

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Love the pictures-and love your birdhouses! I'm inspired!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks for your visit and comment, Connie. I can't pedal too far in London without stopping to snap a picture or gather an idea about a birdhouse. My collection is growing and forcing me to clean up the basement!

GH