Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Zoom w a View: PT 2 “Is this London’s smallest house?”

While pushing my twin grand-daughters around Old South - again and again, lovely, lovely - on Sunday I passed by a very small house covered with vintage aluminum siding.


The address of the wee house is 105 Askin St. and located 100 meters west of the corner of coffee and hardware (Askin and Wortley Rd.) and beside St. James Anglican church in the heart of Old South or Wortley Village.

It is one and a half stories and if there is an upstairs bathroom I’d be surprised if I could stand up in it, and I’m only 5 ft. 6 in. tall in platform shoes.

I really like it. It’s steps to the Red Roaster, has a maintenance-free exterior with a 1950s colour and posh attitude, and with a side window open the sounds of Wednesday evening choir practice would easily keep residents fully entertained, unless they’re into pro wrestling.


["Small and quaint, room enough for a medium-sized family in 1940.": photo GH]

I’m just guessing, but it appears 16 - 20 ft. wide and no more than 20 - 24 ft. deep. At most it is 480 sq. ft. in size on each floor.

‘Live small and prosper’ comes to mind when I look at it.

Is this London’s smallest house? What do you think?

***

Please click here to read PT 1 “Is this London’s smallest house?”

.

2 comments:

Butch McLarty said...

I've been in that house.

About 14 years ago when it was owned by Mary Sharpe, the mother of SCENE's music editor, John Sharpe.

Cute as a button.

G. Harrison said...

I will post another photo soon of a one floor cottage, approx. same square footage, i.e., about 500 on one floor. very pleasant for a 'not-growing' family.