Friday, November 11, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: My wife’s only mistake

I can’t count the time my wife dug up one of two lovely white pine trees from our front yard as a mistake because she believes to this day it was dead.

I thought at the time, and still do, that its coverage of yellow needles only proved it was going through some hard times and that it would replace the yellow needles with new growth given a bit more time.

But we’ll never know who was right. While I was at work one day she cut it down. Not by mistake she says.


However, under the spreading arms of the second and surviving white pine (surviving quite well too, I might add) lies a metal cap to our water line. It sticks up about 3 - 4 inches and bears a scar from the time my wife hit it, several years ago, with the spinning blade of my last gas-powered lawn mower.

She told me she didn’t notice it. (What?!)


["Ollie spins just steps from the second pine and water cap": photos GH

Though she killed the lawn mower, I don’t mention it - well, hardly ever - because she’s pretty sensitive about her one and only mistake in life.

***

Please click here for more It Strikes Me Funny.

.

No comments: