Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ollie and Me: Never too young to love Bob Dylan

It’s raining cats and dogs and green frogs outside, so Ollie and I are listening to Bob Dylan tunes in my study.

He’s as cozy as a bug, drawing pictures on a magic board and asking endless questions about Bob.


“What is this song called? Why is it called that? What’s he saying? Why is he saying that? Can we play it again?”

I try to explain what an album is, what a CD is, that songs have one name and albums usually have another. When I mention the CD ‘under the red sky’ he wants to see it, so down to the basement we go to my Bob Dylan shelf.


“Why isn’t the sky red?” he asks when he sees the CD cover.

That’s a good question, I say, and later I play ‘Born in Time’ three times in a row upon Ollie’s request.

I did my best to explain the lyrics “You were snow you were rain, you were striped you were plain” but feel I came up short.

However, I may have found a soul mate - five years old on Thursday. Never too young for Bob, eh.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Next week, Tom Waits.

Please click here for more Ollie and Me.

.

No comments: