Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Family Photos: “Get me outta here! Really”

I think the photo below was taken in 1957. Maybe 1958. I can’t be sure. Perhaps my oldest sister can recall the year she had white- or cream-coloured spectacle frames. Perhaps my second-oldest can remember when our mom decked her out in a straw hat.


Mom wrote the following on the back of the photo:

Back row - Dale Harrison, Liane Harrison, Gordon Harrison
In front of Liane - Kim Harrison
Fashion show Norwich
Thompson? Kibler? Edwards girls

So, she provided a few names. That helps identify most of the victims, i.e., of her plot to embarrass not just her own children but others as well. But she didn’t record what I was thinking. Surely she knew.

“Get me outta here!” immediately springs to mind. “If my school mates see me in this matching hat and jacket I’m as good as off the scrub team.” (My pant legs are turned up three or four inches as well. That wouldn’t help.)

Karen Thompson, far right of photo, wants out of the fashion show as well, and seems to be checking out the nearest exit, stage left.

My brother Kim (center) seems to be handling things better, but he is three years younger, perhaps content to be wearing something other than my hand-me-downs.

The youngest girls I don’t know. The Kibler twins? But the girl to my brother’s right is Gloria Edwards, the inventor of the mini-skirt.

Recently I received a written comment from my oldest sister about an earlier family photo. She said, “hey, what's with all the homely family pictures? don't tell anyone which one is me..ha, ha..those where the days.”

My answer... it’s time the world knew. And about hiding your identity? Too late.

***

In the above photo I also seem to be saying, “I’ll never do another fashion show for Mom.”

Au contraire mon ami.

Please click here for more very rare Family Photos.

.

No comments: