Sunday, December 11, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: PT 2 A squirrel-proof feeder? We’ll see

[“There is some argument - soon to be resolved - concerning my standing in the halls of those determined word workers who have produced squirrel-proof bird feeders without expensive tools, fancy materials or any instructions from NASA scientists.” GH, Dec.10]

To hinder squirrels from feasting on seeds inside last year’s feeder, I attached bottles, cans and wooden barriers to the clothesline, and upped the code to 7-7-7-7 to thwart the many advances in the diet and conditioning of London’s squirrels.


["Someday, I should put a feeder on top of a greased pole.": photo GH].

While I waited to see the results of my ingenious plan, a friend told me he was willing to bet five bucks on the squirrels. He said I wasn’t onto something other than the path toward another failed attempt. Yes, he admired my diligence, but felt I was deluded if I imagined myself cleverer than a squirrel.

I’m glad I didn’t take the bet.

One day I saw three squirrels huddling on a fence rail, then turn and approach my deck, and while two served as lookouts, the biggest and brightest furry beast, after one last look at his notes, ran toward a snow drift - away from the feeder.

Before I could say ‘what the heck,’ it bounced off the drift, sprang toward a support pole (used to keep the feeder seven feet above the deck), catapulted from it toward the feeder. In midair it twisted to right itself and - unbelievably - grabbed the feeder with two front paws. I gasped. It lifted a hind leg, clutched the feeder’s edge and rolled itself into the seed bed.

Standing alone in the back room, I spontaneously applauded, then caught myself and cursed. Good grief. Back to the drawing board I went.

How’d I do?

Stay tuned.

***

Please click here to read PT 1 A squirrel-proof feeder? We’ll see

.

2 comments:

Gary Howell said...

I admire you for trying; and I know that somewhere, someday someone will come up with the prefect squirrel proof bird feeder that is actually squirrel proof yet not bird proof. When that happens, that individual will become very wealthy. Keep trying, I look forward to perhaps purchasing one from you.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the comment. My second edition of the 2011 model is actually squirrel-proof... at least for the last two weeks (approx.). However, bird traffic is down as well, so with the mild weather perhaps my feeder is being ignored by the smartest of the local squirrels.

I'll keep readers posted, especially if I reach "one month squirrel free."

GH