Monday, January 2, 2012

Rare Family Photos: 'The Group of Seven' Harrisons

My dad had three brothers and three sisters and, as far as I know, there are very few existing photographs that include all seven sitting in a relaxed pose, or in any other type of pose.

Knowing how difficult it is to get my three sisters and one brother together for even the shortest of reunions, I predict the odds are two million to one that five such photographs exist in the world.


But here they are, the seven Harrisons from Norwich (within two generations they were joined by scores of others, all of whom were very hungry), on a side porch after a wedding. The mother of the groom sits in front.

Question: Can you guess which of Dad’s sisters was the proud parent on that day? (Hint: It’s not the one I picked first, i.e., the one with the broadest smile that would suggest she was very happy to see her son go into the world and eventually become, e.g., a high school principal).

I found the photo in my small collection and am very happy to see my dad (far left, back row) enjoying a lovely sunset at the end of a very pleasant day.

In all honesty, I think I contributed to his smile on that day. I had just turned nine, was not invited to the wedding and was very likely running amok behind my grandmother’s back. He is smiling because he knows he won’t have to chase after me for at least another hour or two. He might even have time for a smoke and a couple of beers before heading home.

Your welcome, Dad.

On the back of the photo is found the following:

The Harrison family, Donnie and Jean’s wedding, October 6, 1958.

‘Donnie’ would be Donnie Sherman; his mother is Jessie Sherman, far left, front row. But notice the long face!

Why is that? What could my Aunt Jessie be thinking on this happy day?

***

Please click here to see another Rare Family Photo.

.

No comments: