Thursday, February 9, 2012

Motorcycle Miles: PT 3 “Vancouver Island or Bust” (VIB!)

Details regarding a June or July trip (likely July) are slowly coming together. I’m learning there are many things to consider, including the usual, i.e., route, accommodation, money, how many pairs of jeans to pack, more money, etc.

Today I thought it would be nice to visit my son and his wife in Fenelon Falls on “Vancouver Island or Bust”, or VIB: Day 1. A 340 km. ride from London, easy - kapeasy. Free accommodation, a nice supper, play time with my twin granddaughters, a cold beverage on the dock, a good sleep.


["The view from my son's dock. Add a cold beverage. Perfect."]

Though it adds a day to the journey, making it a 12-day ride in all, it makes my first day shorter and not a repeat of TB: Day 1 on a 2007 trip... to Thunder Bay. It keeps me off the Chi Cheemaun ferry that crosses Georgian Bay or off Highway 69 that takes me around Georgian Bay and to Sudbury, routes I’ve taken in the past.

Though it bumps my overall mileage to Courtenay, Vancouver Island past 5,000 km., it may be worth it overall.


["Early morning, north shore Lake Superior, 2007 TB:Day 7"]

Of course, the ways things are going, I could change my mind and come up with something new next time I open my Canada road atlas. And why not? I’m only riding to British Columbia once. Might as well do what feels right and get more bang for the buck.

[Photos by GH]

***

Please click here for Motorcycle Miles: PT 2 “Vancouver Island or bust”

.

No comments: