Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rare Family Photos: “Mom was hard at work... maybe”

This photo, apparently from 1939, jumped from the ‘pretty interesting’ category to ‘wow, this is really something’ once I took a second look.


At first glance, I enjoyed my mother’s youthful smile, (she was 16 at the time, as cute as a button, and has her arms behind the two men standing), but the rest of the names meant little, and I was about to put the photo away when my eyes settled more firmly on Mrs. A, the middle person sitting on a wood slat.

Hmmmm. I worked on tobacco farms too in my younger years, and worked for Mr. and Mrs. Roger Adams, south-east of Norwich. With photo in hand, I recalled that Diane Adams (Roger’s daughter), at 16, looked a lot like Mrs. A. I also thought, the man sitting behind Mrs. A. also looks a lot like Roger, my one-time boss (circa 1969).

(Note: The name Lou may refer to the man on mother’s left arm; Roger’s name may have been omitted - one of my mother’s few mistakes).

Could my mother and I have worked for the same family or on the same farm? It’s entirely possible.

Fortunately, I know someone in the Lee family (notice a Mr. Lee stands at far right in the photo) who may be able to help me out. But for now, I’m thinking that Roger and Mrs. Adams, one of the hardest working couples I ever met, provided healthy employment for my mother and I, though during tobacco seasons 30 years apart.

Until somebody tells me different, wow, that’s really something.

***

Please click here to view more Rare Family Photos.

.

No comments: