Friday, March 2, 2012

The Simple Life: “Me Porridge. Okay, maybe it’s not oatmeal”

The price of oil will likely be parked above $100 per barrel for the next 10 years or so (before it hits $200), but the price of oats should stay pretty steady.


["The simple life. Boil water for coffee and mush": photo GH]

Good thing too. It’s simple. I love oats in me porridge.

Breakfast can’t get much easier. I boil water and make coffee and mush. Once the oats are bubbling I add Red River cereal, pieces of walnut and dried cranberry, and a small handful of diced raisins. Sometimes some natural bran. Or maybe banana on top after the hot porridge and milk is in the bowl.

Regular readers will know why I call my breakfast ‘porridge’ and not ‘oatmeal’ anymore.

Years ago, after writing about my natural oatmeal breakfasts, with all the toppings, I received the following email:

“Gordon, what’s with the nonsense of cooking up your oats for a whole week and adding cream of wheat and bran, etc.? Just doesn’t add up to oatmeal.” Pearl S.

I admit now, Pearl was right. Porridge is a better name for my concoction. And based on a principle related to the simple life (i.e., “keep your accounts short”), there are no hard feelin’s between Pearl and I.

***

Please click here for more about The Simple Life.

.

No comments: