Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Vancouver Island or Bust PT 1: “So, I’m going by train”

[“In July, 2012 I’ll leave Wawa with a full tank of gas in my motorcycle at about 9 a.m. The weather will be lovely (says the author, optimistically), as it was the first time I drove that piece of highway north of Sault Ste. Marie in August, 2007.” It Strikes Me Funny, February 23, 2012]

I wrote about such big dreams in February. I dreamt I’d motorcycle west to British Columbia and Vancouver Island this summer and be home in time for supper. Plans have changed.

Oh, I still dream about B.C. and Vancouver Island most every night, and I am going west soon (most details are now beyond the dream stage and, thanks to my savings - dwindling while we speak - already paid for in advance), but the changes to the itinerary are quite significant.

For example, I’m no longer travelling west by motorcycle. The duration of the trip would have been too long, i.e., about 30 days, including only four rest days. And the cost of 30 day’s travel, including fuel, bike insurance, accommodation, food and souvenirs - oh, I like lotsa souvenirs - really stretched my savings.

Plus, 30 days on a bike and 4,700 km. of tarmac is twice the trip I took in 2010 (to Halifax) and my hinder parts are now two years older.

So, I’ve booked train passage on The Canadian (a Via Rail train that travels back and forth regularly between Toronto and Vancouver, and features one heck of a nice dining car), thereby cutting the duration of my trip and expenses in half, as well as preventing great amounts of wear and tear on my hinder parts.


[“Neys Provincial Park”: G.Harrison, 2007]

I know I’ll miss the freedom of pulling over at the side of the highway whenever I want to take photographs. I know I’ll miss travelling at my own speed and singing out loud under my helmet. However, as I’ve learned over the years, when teaching or travelling or staying close to home, when one door closes another opens.


["A trip to Paris? Outstanding!": link to photo]

Already, the money saved has opened the door to a future trip to Paris.

More to follow.

***

Please click here for more Vancouver Island or Bust

.

No comments: