Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vancouver Island or Bust PT 2: “Yes, I can afford Paris. You can’t?”


[“Plus, 30 days on a bike and 4,700 km. of tarmac is twice the trip I took in 2010 (to Halifax) and my hinder parts are now two years older.” It Strikes Me Funny, Mar. 28]

I’m taking a train west to Vancouver in April, not my motorcycle, and though I’ll miss the freedom associated with riding a bike for about 4,700 km., from London, Ontario to the ferry terminal in Horseshoe Bay, British Columbia, travelling via The Canadian (a unique Via Rail train) offers many benefits as well.

For example, The Canadian cuts the duration of the trip in half, thereby forcing my wife to cancel several house parties and celebrations in honour of my absence. I no longer have to plan sleeping and eating arrangements for 20 - 22 days along the Trans-Canada highway or sweat about keeping my motorcycle perfectly tuned along the way, not including 5 - 6 days on Vancouver Island. (Just one mishap or one over-night delay would knock a long line of dominoes, related to reservations at hostels and motels, completely out of whack).

As well, though there’s nothing wrong with my cooking, the dining car on The Canadian will undoubtedly be a step up from my typical hostel or ‘side of the road’ fare, and going to sleep to the sound of a gently rocking train car will likely be easier than dropping off between a stranger’s snoring in a male hostel dorm in a Winnipeg, Saskatoon or Lake Louise (etc.).

Even if I took the train home, in order to save time, I’d still have to trouble myself with selling the bike in Vancouver or shipping it back home.


["A trip to Paris, with camping gear on board - easy ka-easy!"]

Really, the train is just a whole lot easier on my psyche and my wallet. Already, I'm more relaxed about the big trip, and with the money saved I’ve purchased half of what I need to get safely to Paris in style, along with Vienna, Zurich and Brussels. Why, even Damascus isn’t out of the question while we’re talking about the plans I have in the future - once returned from Vancouver Island - and once I’ve purchased a decent bicycle to go with my new blue CCM bike trailer.

Besides the aforementioned towns and villages in Ontario well worth a visit after a day or two of hearty bicycling, there is no end to similar, pretty, restful locations on my doorstep, or at least within a 100 km radius of my front porch.

However, I’m getting ahead of myself. I haven’t even visited Vancouver Island and already I’m talking about Paris, Ontario.

It just goes to show you how excited I get whenever I make a big savings.

More to follow.

[Photos by GHarrison]

***

Please click here to read more Vancouver Island or Bust

.

No comments: