Monday, April 9, 2012

Birdhouse London: People will eat up the bat house

Over the last few years I have been asked one particular question more than many others when I’m selling birdhouse, e.g., at a yard sale or bazaar. I.e., do I make bat houses?

Until last summer my answer was usually, “I’ve looked at designs, but I haven’t made any yet."


Now I can say I make them regularly. Once I picked a style I liked and completed the wood list, the rest was ‘easy kap-easy’, as I like to say.

Barn board will stand up well in all kinds of weather and look more suited to its outdoor surroundings once the shine has worn off the lumber. And information about where to place them is available online in several locations.

For example:

Canadian Bathouses

Bat Management

If you notice a drop in the mosquito population in your neck of the woods, perhaps it’s because a neighbour has a bat house in a favourable spot. Bats love mosquitoes!

[Photo of bathouse by GHarrison]

***

Please click here for more Birdhouse London

.

No comments: