Thursday, April 5, 2012

Walking 8: Discovering London in one pair of pants


Miles are adding up. Three here, four there, three or four times per week. No doubt, I will one day possess some of the finest quads in London.

Lately I have left the house for my 'fun and fitness walks' wearing three layers of clothing ‘up top’, i.e., t-shirt, sweat-shirt, light jacket. After 20 minutes and two trips up and down a steep hill in Thames Park, however, I've unzipped the jacket and sweater under my neck and allow heat from the furnace to escape. It’s amazing how much heat a person produces when exercising.

Recently I added a detour around a local brewery to my regular route in order to stay outside longer and see a different view of London. The ‘Blue Loop’ includes another nice hill so my quads and onboard furnace get a good workout, and because leaves upon hundreds of trees are just beginning to emerge, graffiti and river views are unobscured.


[Please not: I said “around a local brewery” and not “into”]

A ‘cycle’ tag in Harris Park reminds me to keep looking for a good bike to haul my new bike trailer. Biking and camping season will soon be fully upon us and I plan to pedal to, and camp in, some pretty exotic places soon - once I dust off my old Coleman stove.


Paris, Zurich, Vienna, Brussels, Stratford-on-Avon... even Avon. All on my list. All in Ontario.

But first, I have many miles to walk.

[Photos by GHarrison]

***

Please click here for Walking 7: Discovering London in one pair of pants.

.

No comments: