Monday, May 21, 2012

“GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Chasing my dad Part 6

Day 1 of my trip to Vancouver Island, British Columbia (a trip that began on April 21 and ended in the middle of the afternoon on May 5 when I stepped down from a Via Rail train and hugged my wife on York St., downtown London), was chiefly about getting from my home to Toronto in time for a lovely supper, onto the right train heading west at 10 p.m., and falling asleep in my classy upper berth after two glasses of complimentary champagne.  

Day 2 was about getting used to my first full day a life of luxury on The Canadian and taking enough pictures of an old train station in Hornepayne to feel that I was walking in my father’s footsteps.  

Day 3 was about enjoying my daily routine and first look at the Canadian prairies, making contact with my wife when phone signals and Wifi were available, and basking in the glow of my first prairie sunset.

Day 4, and what follows, is again about my routine, being resourceful where I could be, firming up my schedule for my second day in Victoria, enjoying the scenery, switching to economy class in the afternoon, enjoying more of the incredible scenery, and reading two passages that helped me get even further ‘into’ the trip west and chasing my father.

[“Day 4 was a rainy day. Lots of time to read”]

Did I need help getting ‘into’ the trip west after I made up my mind to go in early March?

Not really. Much of my reading that predated the trip informed my mind on a daily basis. Much if the research I did while compiling my dad’s naval memoirs into book form influenced the making of plans to visit certain people and places that were on Vancouver island, and what I felt would be very satisfying and fulfilling connections were only two days away.

In my luggage I’d also packed a rare book about dad’s operations in WWII (re North Africa, Sicily, Malta and Italy) so valuable information was always close at hand.

[“Reading that predated the trip informed my mind”]

[“I’d also packed a rare book about
dad’s operations in WWII”]

So, already in a comfortable and enthusiastic state of mind, I made my first call of the day to my wife Pat at 6:40 on a sunny morning outside the train in Edmonton. She shared good news.

“Katie Brissard emailed you and can now meet you at 10 a.m. the day after tomorrow, instead of 4 p.m., if you’d like,” she said.

I thought that would be a great idea and told my wife to email a positive response to Katie. 

Notes from my journal reveal my mood:

"Perhaps I’ll get the 1000 HR tour I first desired. Then I can see HAMMOCK, tour base (1 HR), see Naval Museum before lunch, before p.m. visit to Maritime Museum of BC. Sweet. Then I’ll have some p.m. hours to relax, do laundry, rent a car (i.e., to get to Courtenay the following day).”

[“A hammock with Dad’s name on it - a treasure
I was seeking”: photo from Esquimalt Museum]

Since we had been out of contact for a full day, I told Pat one or two things about Winnipeg and the prairies before boarding the train. I likely added that I missed her, because it was true. (She would have loved the idea of ‘tens-ies’ i.e., Earl Grey Tea and Peek Frean cookies at 10 a.m.) 

The next note from my journal reveals it was about time to get resourceful due to an upcoming switch from my ‘Sleeper Plus class’ (all meals included; showers available) to Economy class (meals must be purchased; passengers get to splash water in their faces from tiny sinks found somewhere upon the train):

"gordie has quick hands, i.e., snacks for tonight and tomorrow a.m. are packed away. Maybe I’ll nab a sticky bun too!”

[“Gus, are you going to finish that omelette?”]

Family members who have already read Dad’s memoirs might be reminded of an episode he wrote about while he was in Sicily in 1943. 

More to follow.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here to rad “GO WEST, YOUNG MAN”: Chasing my dad Part 5

No comments: